What happens when we take a different path?

We got home quite early from the office today (on the day this was written). As a result, I was able to get done with all I had to do at home earlier than usual. As we awaited hubby's return, I proposed to Dan that we should take a stroll to the junction, and excitedly, he agreed.

As we went, he was running ahead of me, and despite all my calling out to him to take it easy, he didn't answer me. I decided to take an unfamiliar route we had never taken before, just to see if it would be faster.

Meanwhile, Dan had run far ahead towards the familiar direction. When we got to the turning that leads to the route I wanted us to take, I started calling out to him to turn back, but he didn't answer me, or perhaps, he didn't hear. Then, I turned into the unfamiliar path and waited to see what he would do if he turned back and didn't see me. I kept checking on him from a position I was sure he would not see me from if he turned back.

After walking for a while, and perhaps, discovering and noticing for the first time that I wasn't at his back, he made a quick U-turn. He started walking back... until he got to where I was and looked towards the direction, and saw me. I saw him, let out a sigh of relief, as he walked towards me and became "gentler" than he had earlier been on the trip.

As I meditate on the scenario just now, it occurred to me that, that is how we, God's children, often preempt God. We assume we know where He's taking us to, and sometimes, we just run ahead of him.

What happens when it's a different path entirely?
How many of us would notice when we have run ahead of His presence and when His presence is no longer with us?
How many of us would be humble enough to make a U-turn when we discover our error?
And how quickly would we turn back?

Something to meditate on for you, too...

By: Bimbola Tayo-Bamidele

Comments

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

You do not need to invite the Holy Spirit

Success Story: How I went from a CGPA of 2.29 to 4.00 within a Semester

Let's talk about Bimpe Bamgbose-Martins

Why Salt kills earthworms?

The Betrayal – A Short Story

Geek Charming (2011)

The Weekly WhatsApp Status-Quotes Challenge – The LPI

Understanding the Factors that make Children Brilliant