If You are so convinced that You Can, then get it done!

Dan had just discovered how, with a stool, he could pick stuff that were far beyond his reach. So, whenever we needed something placed on top of anywhere, he would always volunteer to get it.

One night, I was in the kitchen and needed something from the bedroom. There was no light, and usually, we place a lamp somewhere in the sitting room, from where it illuminates the whole place. After I expressed my need for that stuff in the bedroom, Dan volunteered to go bring it. When he did, I reminded him that the only extra lamp we had was the one I was using in the kitchen and that the other one was at a place where his hand could not reach, in the sitting room.
Before I could finish my statement, Dan had left the kitchen and I was already hearing the sound of his dragging a stool in the sitting room. I was so sure that even if he placed two stools on top of themselves, he wouldn't still be able to pick the lamp from where it was; and even placing two stools on top of themselves was a risk I didn't want him to take.
So, I said to him,
"Don't even dare. Don't attempt picking that lamp at all. I am not sending you on that errand... Can you hear me? Hello? I am talking to you! If you climb that stool, Opelopeoluwa... (when I call him that, it's to emphasize the 'seriousness' of the situation)"

The next thing I noticed was that the light in the sitting room was going dimmer and dimmer until there was no light in the sitting room anymore. I was not too sure of what had just happened and could not even believe what my brain was telling me had happened. Before I could finish analysing the situation, Dan entered the kitchen, carrying the sitting room lamp in one hand, and the stuff I needed from the bedroom in the other hand. I was supposed to be upset for his disobedience but the first thing I felt was pride for his attitude. I was proud of him.
As I dwelled on that and was about expressing it with a "come and hug mummy," I remembered how he disobeyed me. Did I not tell him to not dare it? Did I not ask him to not attempt using the stool? Did I not tell him I didn't send him? Did I not warn him?
I became torn between my pride and his.
But the truth is, I was really proud of his attitude.

-----

Most times, when we warn you against something or a certain path, it's out of genuine concern for you. But you see, you've got to be convinced of your choice enough to not listen to us if your heart really tells you we underestimate your ability and strength. Regardless of our genuine expression of care and concern wrapped up in our warning, you've got to go on and do what we tell you you couldn't do – if you believe you could do it..
Yes, we would feel you disobeyed us. And in fact, didn't you? But if you could get successful at that thing we thought you couldn't, we would be so proud of you.... So proud that even when we want to remember your disobedience, it would be covered up and swallowed by our pride for your unstoppable attitude.

Now, go get it. Just make sure you come back with it. Godspeed...

By: Bimbola Tayo-Bamidele

Comments

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

IPad, Android Phones Versus Bible

Why Salt kills earthworms?

Treat Him like a King

The Betrayal – A Short Story

Life Lessons from the Clock

Geek Charming (2011)

Success Story: How I went from a CGPA of 2.29 to 4.00 within a Semester

Grace and Favour are not a license for laziness and mediocrity