Eggshells (Episode 10)

"Okay. I will call Tunde and talk to him", Jessica said as she withdrew herself from Daniella's embrace, wiped her tears, and went back to the pot of stew on the gas cooker. She opened it, stirred it a little, tasted a bit of it, and thought it was okay. She added a little quantity of water to it and closed the lid. Then she reduced the level of heat of the gas cooker as she turned her back and rested on the kitchen cupboard. Daniella had been all the while beside the refrigerator folding her arms watching Jessica as a hen watches her chicks closely.
"Are you sure you are ready for this?", Daniella asked her.
"I don't know Dani. But I have to. I just have to, for the sake of my daughter."
"Are you ready to tell your daughter the truth? That her father is alive and that he is the nice uncle who sends her gifts you throw away."
"Oh common Dani. Why won't I throw them away? Who does that piece of garbage think he is to send my daughter gifts like she were some charity case."
"That piece of garbage is her father. Besides, from the way you talk, are you still mad at him? You mean you haven't forgiven him since these past years? Honey, you need to move on and let the past behind you."
"I mean, look at you. You have your own house, your own car, a good job. Jessie, God has blessed you and it's obvious enough that not even Tunde can deny that. You have your own thing put together for you. You are not asking for his pity nor his money. He just needs to be present in the life of your daughter as her father", Daniella added.
Jessica sighed.
"Okay! Alright! I'll call him and discuss with him."
Daniella smiled.
"That's better."
She moved closer to Jessica and held her by the shoulder subtly patting her.
"Don't worry. Everything will be fine."
"Thanks Dani. I don't think I would have done this without you."
Daniella waved her hand in the air swiftly.
"Oh come off it. I'm your sister."
Jessica smiled.

*********

Stanley and Franca were both eating on the bed in Franca's room.
Stanley spoke.
"Nice place."
She looked at him.
"Thank you."
"You know what I like about this place. Actually, it's the environment. It's a peaceful one. I'm a lover of peace", he said as he smiled widely.
Franca could not help but let out a laugh.
"I see that."
"Yes. So maybe you will come spend the coming weekend with me at my place."
"Why is it a 'maybe'? I thought we were engaged."
"Yes we are engaged. I'm glad you are saying that yourself but I will not order you around. I don't do that."
"And who says that's ordering me around. I am coming whether you invite me or not."
"You know what I like the most about you?"
"What is it?"
"Your weirdness. You are weird, Franca. This minute, you don't want us to rush things. The next, you are coming to spend the weekend at my place."
"But you suggested it yourself."
"Like you said, it was a 'suggestion'. But I'm glad you agreed to my suggestion."
"I just wished you could tell me you love me already," Stanley added.
"And if I do?"
"I don't get."
"What if I love you but I'm not ready to say it yet."
"But you just said it now", he said and laughed loudly.
Franca realized.
"Oh! You got me there!"
"I know right."
She dropped her plate, got up, grabbed a pillow, and hit him with it. Stanley retaliated. They both started to hit each other playfully and continued until they were tired.

*********

Jessica dialled Tunde's number on her phone. It was ringing. She and Daniella were both in the sitting room. Daniella was sitting down while she was standing; pacing around.
"He is not answering," she told Daniella.
"Try again. Keep trying till he answers."
"But he could be with his wife and I don't want to disturb him."
"Remember you can't turn back now. You have to finish what you have started."
"But I've not started anything. I've not told him anything yet", she said and sat down.
" Jessie, easy does it okay. Try his number again."
Jessica's phone started ringing.
"Oh, it's him."
Daniella gestured her to answer it.
Jessica answered the call.
"Hello"
"Jessica, I saw your missed call. Sorry I was in the kitchen cooking."
"Oh! I thought you were with your wife."
"She is not around. She has travelled to see her parents."
"Oh I see."
"Yeah, so why did you call?"
"Uh...uhm...I want us to see and talk."
"Talk about what?", he asked.
"About Amanda", Jessica replied.
"What about her? Is she alright?", his voice grew with interest.
"She is fine. Nothing is wrong with her. I want to tell you something concerning her. When are you less busy?"
"Uhm...if it's serious, we can still meet up today to talk about it."
"Okay. Where will you be?"
"Can you come to my house?"
Jessica was silent for a while before she spoke.
"No I can't. Can we meet at the mall?"
Daniella looked at her and told her to change that choice.
"Okay. Can you come to my place?"
"Let me give you the address of my office. We can meet there and talk. I'll be there by 7."
"Okay."
The call ended from his end.
"So what did he say?", Daniella was anxious to know.
"He said we should meet at his office."
"Well that's better. At least, it's a Sunday."
"I guess you are right."
"See, that wasn't so hard after all."
"I almost backed out."
"I know but you are a strong woman and you'll keep on being strong for yourself and your child."
"Yes Dani. I will. I've got no choice."
"Don't worry. I'll look after Mandy till you return."
"Thanks dear. I think I have to get ready."
"Yes. Don't just get dressed up. But get your mind dressed up too," Daniella told her.

**********

Stella returned with Donald's suit neatly put together. Donald was on the bed making use of his laptop when she entered. She put the suit in the wardrobe and joined him on the bed.
"Donald, it's been long since we..."
Donald looked at her.
"Since we what?"
"Since we made love."
"Yes, you're right."
"What is wrong? You don't like the way I do it?"
"No Stella. It's not that. I have just been busy."
Donald was surprised that they were both having a sane and civil conversation over an issue that used to cause an uproar in the house.
"Busy? I admit that you are a busy guy. But how are we supposed to have children if we don't do what husbands and wives are meant to do together?"
Donald sighed.
"I know, Stella. It has not been easy for me too. Believe me when I say so."
"Donald, look me in the eye and tell me the truth. Are you impotent?"
Donald was too embarrassed to stare at her. He kept quiet.
Stella was shocked.
"So that is what this has been all about? I should have known."
"I'm sorry", he said.
"It's okay. We will solve this together. You are my husband and I cannot let you deal with this all by yourself."
"Honestly, I can't believe you are saying this Stella."
"What? You thought I would kick and shout? I'm not getting younger Donald. Very soon, which I believe strongly in, I will become a mother. I have to be a good role model to my children."
"You are right. I'm sorry I neglected you. I'm sorry I didn't tell you the truth."
"I won't lie that's it's not painful but I can only keep calm about the situation now."
"Have you seen a doctor?", she asked him.
"Yes. I went to see Sean."
"Sean knows?"
"Yes he does. I had to tell him."
"I understand. So what did he tell you to do?"
"Uhm, he prescribed a few drugs which I have been using. And he told me to stay away from stress, particularly work related."
Stella rested her head on his shoulders. She said something very profound.
"I have never believed in love. I almost ran away before our wedding. I hated you on our wedding night. But you know what? I'm glad you are my husband. I don't know maybe destiny made us to get married."
Donald smiled and she continued.
"It's been four years of pain, tears, joy, and the likes."
She looked at him in the eyes.
"I don't know Donald but I'm more scared of losing you now than ever", she said and hugged him tightly.
He was surprised and after a while, he held her too. Donald felt that Stella was probably already falling in love with him and she didn't realize it. She had always been a nice girl, but she had not spoken those words to him since they got married. The sad part was he had also grown to love her too more than he ever imagined.
But then again, Jane had just resurfaced like a blast from the past, from his past actually. He wondered if Stella also had a lover like he did before they got married. He probably was her first love because he could only imagine the kind of rebel that guy would have to put up with having Stella as his girlfriend.
Jane, was however his first love.  And there is this thing they say about first loves and how they die hard. Old flames die hard, they say.
They both pulled from the embrace.
Donald looked Stella in the eye and spoke.
"Stella, if there is anything you must know, it's that I do not regret marrying you."

************

Prisca returned to her hostel. She opened the door of her room and met Onyeka and Ruth waiting for her. She closed the door and dropped her bag on the bed. She sat down and was about pulling her shoes when Ruth spoke.
"Where have you been?"
"To see the Queen", she replied sarcastically.
"I'm serious young lady. Where have you been? I've been asking Onyeka but she refused to say a word."
"And why would I say a word when I know the kind of person that you are", said Onyeka.
" I wonder o ", replied Prisca.
"Can someone please tell me what's going on here?", asked Ruth.
"Today is a Sunday. I came this morning to call you for church only to meet Onyeka here waiting for you. I know Onyeka hardly goes to church but you, Prisca, you hardly miss service. Also, Onyeka has the keys to your room and I don't? Since when did you and Onyeka become BFFs?", Ruth continued.
"Point of correction, Onyeka has always been my BFF and you have just been my friend. Besides, what's there if I don't attend service? It's not like I'm getting paid for it anyway."
"Really? Such blasphemy. Anyway, I still don't understand you. Tell me exactly what is going on."
Onyeka spoke.
"There is nothing to tell madam. I advise you leave now. Prisca and I want to talk."
"Talk? What's going on? Which talk is that? Prisca, is that so?"
"Yes. You can excuse us please", said Prisca.
"Which please? Please, why? Bia, Ruth I don't know why you're pretending o. Better come out clean and tell us the runs you're having with Dr Bello", said Onyeka.
" Runs? Me? Are you insinuating that I'm sleeping with Dr Bello? He is just my school father."
"School father my foot. You think we don't know what you're doing behind our backs. Now you're using Jesus to cover face. Even Jesus does not  like hypocrites and that's what you are, Ruth. You are a pure hypocrite", said Onyeka.
Prisca was silent.
" Prisca, do you believe what she is saying?"
"Yes, I do. I trusted you Ruth but you went behind me to do all that? I told you every little detail about my life and yet you could not advise me well that I had gold right in front of me. You are a bad friend. Just leave my room please. I'm only using courtesy because of old times' sake or else. In fact, don't let me push you out. Respect yourself."
Ruth carried her handbag and walked to the door. She looked back and said, "May God forgive you."
"And you too", replied Onyeka.
"Please shut my door as you go", said Prisca.
Ruth went out and closed the door behind. She wept as she walked down the stairs using her hand to wipe her tears.
Prisca hissed and sat down on the bed. Onyeka had been lying on the bed all long. She got up and sat straight on it folding her legs.
"So how far? How did it go?", she asked with keen interest.
Prisca smiled.
"I did it! I let it go!"
"Wait, you mean you actually did it? You seduced him and he fell?"
"He fell flat on his face!"
"Wow girl! That's interesting! You go girl!", Onyeka said with a lot of excitement as she gave Prisca a hi-five.
"Well yes! I got him! I have to admit though that it was painful. I almost died."
"That's how it's like for the first time. Don't worry you'll soon get used to it."
"I know but I enjoyed it as well. It was both painful and sweet."
"Yeah I know right. You're getting sharp o this girl."
"Before nko."
"Wow, that Felix is a champion in bed! Now I understand why my sister wants to die on top his matter."
"No darling. He is a champion because he's got the big cash. That's why your sister wants to die on top his matter."
They both laughed and gave each other a hi-five.

To Be Continued....

Comments

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

IPad, Android Phones Versus Bible

Why Salt kills earthworms?

Treat Him like a King

The Betrayal – A Short Story

Life Lessons from the Clock

You are Stronger than the Storms

Success Story: Anna Phosa

Towards Mental Exploits by David .O. Oyedepo