Eggshells (Episode 9)

"That is what happens when you get too close to the opposite sex all in the name of friendship!", Daniella said as she munched some cookies in the kitchen with Jessica.
Jessica was busy cooking as they both discussed.
"I know but now the deed is done. He is getting married and I'm here with my child. And to think that Tunde has been disturbing me for a while now", Jessica said as she stirred the boiling pot of stew on the gas cooker.
Daniella put down the glass of juice she was drinking in a hurry as if she was forced.
"But what about the restraining order?"
"Restraining order? I was told I could not get one against him since there was no proof that he has been violent."
"That's serious. What exactly does he want?", Daniella asked as she folded her arms.
" I don't know and I don't care. I mean, if his wife had bore him kids, would he even remember that I was once pregnant for him?"
"You're right though. But don't you think that maybe he is genuinely remorseful for what he did by turning his back on you when you needed him the most and wants to make up for that?"
"Oh common Dani. How can you say that? He is just out to cheat me and I won't take that! I won't allow that!"
"You're being stubborn Jessie. A little. And I don't think that's necessary at this point. Think about Tunde's offer. He doesn't want to snatch your daughter from you; you and I know he can't do that not even in his dreams. I think he only wants to make up for the lost time and his previous shortcomings."
"I don't need a father for my daughter. I can play both roles perfectly."
"There goes pride talking and not you Jessica. No matter how much you try to convince yourself that Amanda will be fine without a father figure in her life, the reality is that the absence of a father will take its toll sooner or later whether you like it or not."
Jessica stopped still and became quiet. Daniella moved closer to her and held her by the shoulder.
"Babe, you know I love you like a sister and I only want the best for you. Amanda is like my daughter too. You have to be careful in making decisions like this. Remember your background and how you lived with your aunty till you got into the university. I'm sure that's why you're so protective of Amanda but no matter what, she will always need that father figure and I know deep down you know this too."
"Yes I lived with my aunty who taught me lessons the hard way. I never had a father who bought me ice cream nor took me to the amusement park but I didn't die because of that. I only became stronger for it."
"You are right but remember when we had Father's Day Celebrations in church and you went to the bathroom to cry all through. I followed you quietly and saw how you cried your eyes out. You came out, your eyes were swollen and you couldn't eat. You didn't talk to anyone either. I also remember how Sade, the bully would make fun of you because you trekked to school and her dad always brought her to school in his Jeep. I also remember the essay we were asked to write in Sunday School on our wish from God. Jessie, your only wish in that essay was a father. You even wrote that even if it was just for a day, God should give you a father. You cannot deny the essence of a father in every child's life."
Jessica had already began to sob silently.
"I suffered Dani. I really suffered."
"Good so please don't let Amanda go through all that. At least for your daughter's sake, give Tunde a chance again."
Jessica sobbed louder as Daniella consoled her calmly.

*************

Ada and Ufuoma entered the living room together. Ufuoma was carrying a medium sized black polybag as she stood abruptly carefully observing the new environment. Ada was a bit tired but courtesy demanded her to do the introduction. She thought that Felix was already home.
"So you will be staying with us now dear. I hope you like this place?", she asked her.
Ufuoma nodded still looking around.
" Okay. I think my husband is back maybe he just went out to get something. Anyway, I'll call him later. Follow me; let me show you your room."
Ufuoma followed Ada into the guest bedroom as Ada opened the door for her and followed her in.
"This will be your room henceforth. The room next to yours is my sister, Prisca's room but she is not around now. She is in school although she comes home during the holidays."
"So make yourself comfortable here okay", Ada added.
As she was about to leave the room, Ufuoma spoke.
"Aunty..."
"Yes dear", Ada answered as she stopped and looked back.
" Please where is the kitchen? I know you are tired. I want to cook something for you."
Ada smiled.
"Alright. Thank you dear. The kitchen is the second room by your left. Let me go and freshen up upstairs."
"Okay ma."
Ada left the room and went into the master bedroom. She was visibly tired but she managed to remove her clothes and have a shower. She came out of the bathroom and sat on the bed still in her bathrobe. As she lay on the bed, she thought of Felix. He ought to have been back from Prisca's school even before them. She got up, took her phone and dialed his number. It was ringing. Felix answered the call after it rang the third time.
"Hello Felix, where are you?"
"Baby, I'm in traffic. So sorry I haven't been able to call you since. I didn't even know where my phone was in the car even after searching for it. It's your call that made me locate it now."
"Sorry dear. You must be tired, I understand. Anyway, Ufuoma and I are home now."
"Oh that's great. I will join you shortly."
Ada thought she heard Felix say "stop it".
" Are you with someone, Felix?"
"Uhm me? No. It's this little boy here trying to wash my windscreen in traffic. I told him to stop. I think all he wants is just money."
"Oh okay. No problem then. I'll be expecting you."
"Okay Baby. Bye."
"Yes, bye."
Ada hung up and dropped her phone by the bedside. She laid on the bed and slept off a few minutes after.

Felix stood in the room with his phone in his hand as Prisca lay half naked on the bed. She was grinning.
"And what's so funny?", Felix asked disgustedly.
"Thinking that you had to lie to my sister all because of me is making me laugh."
"Oh really? Well I don't find it funny. Not one bit."
He threw his phone on the bed and started to wear his clothes.
"Wait, what do you think you're doing?"
"What does it look like I'm doing?", he asked as he continued to dress up.
" You can't be going now. I...I...I'm not done with you", her voice almost in despair.
"Well try me you little slut."
"Common Felix, that was harsh."
"Harsh? I haven't even started with you. Since all these years that I have been married to your sister, I have never gone more than four rounds! And you are here asking me to go how many? Are you even a virgin?"
"Don't insult me Felix", Prisca said as she stood up.
"I have to ask to be sure. Maybe you set me up with the blood too."
Prisca slapped him fiercely.
"I have done nothing but trust you Felix and this is how you pay me back?"
Felix was silent as he stared at her.
"You will not get off my claws easily. Mark my words. You can go home now to your empty womb of a wife."
Felix shook his head.
"I can't believe you and Ada came out from the same mother."
He bent to put on his shoes. Prisca went to sit at the edge of the bed. She looked like she was crying but Felix appeared not to be bothered at all.

**********

Donald was trying out some of his clothes for his meeting; the meeting with Jane. He stood in front of the mirror as he tried on a few of his designer suits. After trying on a few, he finally settled on one. Stella entered.
"Is this all because of that dinner date?"
"I have to look good too."
Stella smiled.
"Well you know you look good even when you have nothing on."
Donald looked at her for a while. She laughed and jumped on the bed.
"So who is this client my husband is meeting with?"
"Why so curious?"
"Can't I know who my husband will be having dinner with anymore?"
"You can of course. But you've never been interested in that before."
"Well I am now. So tell me."
"Miss Jane."
Stella rolled her eyes as if trying to recollect the name.
"I don't know her."
Donald shrugged.
"Donald, can I go with you?"
"Stella, but it's a business dinner not a social gathering. That will be awkward. It's just like she bringing her husband along too."
"Well if she and her husband are in the same line of business, I don't see anything wrong with that. But then again, didn't you say she was a 'Miss' which means she is single."
"Even at that, mixing business with pleasure is not advisable. It should be strictly business."
"I guess you're right after all. Donald, don't you think it's high time we started thinking of having children?"
Donald sighed; he was not expecting Stella to come up with that. He was even surprised because each time he raised the issue up, she would tell him she was not ready.
"Why the sudden change? I thought you said we should give each other some time and not rush into having children?"
"I know I said that before but we are going on four years now. I just thought we should both be ready by now, don't you think?"
"Okay, I'll think about it. We can discuss about it later."
He grabbed the suit on the bed and was heading to the door.
"Where are you going?", she asked.
"To straighten this", he replied referring to the suit in his arm.
Stella got up from the bed.
"Let me have it."
She collected the suit from him.
"I will do this myself."
"Are you sure?", he asked.
"Yes. I'll be back."
She opened the door and went out of the bedroom. Donald was not surprised; Stella was like that, she had always been like that. If there was anything Donald liked about her, it was that she was not a 'spoilt kid'. He sat on the bed thinking about Jane. She was his first and only true love. His father had made him marry Stella against his wish. Stella was beautiful, smart, and intelligent no doubt but his heart was still for Jane at the time they got married. Along the line, he discovered Stella was not bad after all. He got used to her and he found himself thinking of her even at work. Donald knew a part of him was already falling for Stella but he was too stubborn to admit that. This was because he probably felt that he owed Jane his loyalty even though he had broken her heart. How could he admit that the woman he did not want to marry was the same woman that had slowly crept into his heart. Stella!

To Be Continued...

Comments

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

IPad, Android Phones Versus Bible

Why Salt kills earthworms?

Treat Him like a King

The Betrayal – A Short Story

Life Lessons from the Clock

You are Stronger than the Storms

Success Story: Anna Phosa

Towards Mental Exploits by David .O. Oyedepo