The Tyranny of What IF

There was a 6% chance of dying when I was born and a scientific possibility I wouldn't live beyond 44.7 years. It was the statistically accepted figure of life expectancy at my birth.

At the time, there was a 60% chance I wouldn't have a proper education as I grew up, given the literacy rate. The chance of studying a competitive course like Medicine in Obafemi Awolowo University was predictably slimmer.

By fourth year, the probability I'd graduate only after resitting an exam or repeating a year soared by 50% when our class was split into two following an unprecedented failure.

The figures get worse for anything I have always wanted to achieve. There's always a rich volume of information that lends itself to why I shouldn't be born or pursue any reason why I was.

But I have defied my odds.
I do come from a long, grim journey; walking over the vast desert sands of statistics that threaten my foot from moving and my mind from dreaming.
I have triumphed this far wielding a spear of possibility and hope; challenging the tyranny of "what if".

What if I got a disease and die at infancy?
What if my parent's funds dry up and I can't go to school?
What if the course got too hard and I couldn't pass it?
What if I got out of school and don't get a job?
What if I land a job with a salary too small to feed me?
What if my parents have a health condition I cannot take care of?
What if I begin to make a conversation in a crowd or with someone and I don't get liked or I get snubbed?
What if the friendship breaks once I tell him I love him?
What if my marriage turns out a failed one like the ones I read about on blogs?
What if my business takes a plunge and I'm left broke?
What if I type a post and get 2 likes?
What if I write a book and no one buys it?
What if someone says I'm wrong?...

So, you wait, sit, pray, look, hold your peace and seal your lips. You'd rather not act. You'd rather be safe; rather not try. You'd rather not begin that conversation, or study that course. You'd rather not believe in marriage or love or commit to a relationship. You'd rather not submit an application or go for that interview.

The gates of the city of "what-if" are hefty. They are closed but you couldn't see that you could sneak out at night and do the impossible since you were too busy asking yourself "what if it were locked" and "what-if you were caught?"
You are imprisoned, shackled under the tyranny of what-if. It is the biggest thief of your greatest moments; the sneakiest of them all.
It is logical. It wants you to be cautious.
It is emotional. It always seeks your comfort.
It is spiritual. It asks "what if God doesn't want it?"

Tragically, the question of "what if" never gets answered by helpful information. Those who ask it end up sitting on their biggest success hoping that someday, what-if will relinquish its dominion and they'd be free to do their thing.
No. Wrong!

"What if" is a power-monger; a monstrous beast exercising its dominion with diligence on its hapless subjects.

I am your jail breaker today! Get out, get up, have that conversation, set up that meeting, tell him that secret, break off that unhelpful relationship, get on with believing in love. Your marriage isn't going to be like others. Your parent's disease isn't yours. Your fears – they're all an illusion planted by an emissary of the what-if dynasty.
It's time to break free! Your freedom from the tyranny of "what-if" is here!

By: Olulade Ebenezer

Comments

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

IPad, Android Phones Versus Bible

Why Salt kills earthworms?

Treat Him like a King

The Betrayal – A Short Story

Life Lessons from the Clock

Geek Charming (2011)

Success Story: How I went from a CGPA of 2.29 to 4.00 within a Semester

Grace and Favour are not a license for laziness and mediocrity