Doing what makes You fulfilled matters

WAEC result was out and all of my friends took an early trip to the cyber café to print theirs out. It was 2006. We didn't have smart phones to plug us into their website.

In a few hours, friends were already calling the landline we had at home. A very brilliant friend, one I had a heavy crush on, called to say she had Bs in all the important subjects and more. I hadn't seen mine. My first trip to the café wasn't fruitful. Network was jammed, the site was busy. I was asked to come back late in the evening.

All day, I was subjected to congratulating people who had results I secretly feared would be better than mine. By afternoon, I got swallowed up in anxiety. I could no longer sit behind the phone waiting on my friends to call about their results. I ran to another café far from my area. After wriggling through a crowd of equally terrified students gathering around a monitor, I submitted my details to the operator. In a giffy, a bright yellow page started emerging. Mathematics was the first subject my eyes laid on. It was an A1. What? It took me so much effort to prepare for that paper. I didn't like many topics for much of senior secondary school. An example is Sets (where one draws a Venn diagram). Finding the missing angle also always freaked me out! I preferred topics like quadratic equations. I just put in a lot of effort to merely pass mathematics at WAEC but it turned out I was good at it. At least, good enough to have an A.

I don't regret I shunned the world of numbers to go for Medicine. Biology has always been what I loved and although I had a B2 in it, there are some things you do, not because you are great at it but because you are most fulfilled doing it.

Any day you have a conflict of interest between what you are good at and what you feel most at ease with, choose the latter.
Being good will fetch you accomplishments but do until you do what fulfills you, more trophies on the shelf cannot make up for the emptiness you'll feel within your chest.

By: Olulade Ebenezer

Comments

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

Why Salt kills earthworms?

IPad, Android Phones Versus Bible

Treat Him like a King

Let's talk about Bimpe Bamgbose-Martins

Geek Charming (2011)

Success Story: How I went from a CGPA of 2.29 to 4.00 within a Semester

Grace and Favour are not a license for laziness and mediocrity

WORD Quotes for this Week