We have to do this Ourselves

I really wish I could say this out rather than have it written out. So help me read it out. Do It Yourself!

I'm going to tell you something. Some years back, things were so difficult for my parents and us. It was the most difficult part of our lives. Then my dad lost entirely all his businesses. It was hard on him. Everything was gone. My mum had a clothing business she was doing. Everything was on her. Every responsibility was on her. She had entirely no choice but to carry this two-in-one cross herself.

It came to a point where she had to take her lifeline. We were going to join in the struggle. I was ten while my younger brother was eight. She would give us part of the clothe to go through many streets to sell. Sometimes it took us hours to sell one of the clothes. It didn't matter who sold me or my brother but we were happy anytime we exchanged clothe for money. I was the boss. Sometimes it looked like we've walked so long and didn't sell a thing maybe due to the price and instead of walking back there to mama with nothing, I would tell my brother to cut the price so we could get money. Mum has to bear with us.

One day, on a Saturday, we were doing business on the streets and immediately, I saw my classmates. I went to a private school so you know what it is. They were coming back from an extra-lesson and when they saw me, I tried to cover my face with the clothes. They laughed at me and I felt so bad about it. My brother, Eight years old then, looked at me and said; "Don't listen to them, let's go". I went back that day and told Mum I was not going to do this anymore. She looked at me, and then my brother told her what happened. She hugged me. The realest hug I have had all my life. She said; "Nna, it's not like I want you boys to go through this situation with me, but I've no option. You see we can't run back and forth to people anytime we have a problem. WE HAVE TO DO THIS OURSELVES. It's difficult. I know but you are not going to do it forever. We are saving ourselves and we can't listen to people who laugh at us because it'd be more shameful if you were walking those streets begging for food"..
A lot she said. But one sentence would stick to my mind forever. "We have to do this ourselves".

You see, sometimes you find yourself in real dark and tight corner. You need help but you can't get it because those who used to care, didn't care anymore or there isn't even anything for them. You have to learn how to do things yourself. I have had some girls say they want a boyfriend just because they want someone to help them in life. And that's the craziest of it all. Everything anybody does for you is temporal. It's not guaranteed. There are no real assurances. They might as well want something in return but when you realize that the only way to go is your way. That you have this work to do yourself. You are the person who is going to succeed yourself. I would always tell people, "believe in yourself first of all then believe in God". You can't make it in life by "believing in God" alone or in people. You would be disappointed all through it.
I hope you find yourself. And use the energy inside to succeed.
You can do it yourself.

By: Jude Onyekachukwu Igwe

Comments

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

IPad, Android Phones Versus Bible

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

Comportment and Etiquette

Life Lessons from the Clock

Why Salt kills earthworms?

The Betrayal – A Short Story

Leadership and Politics Quotes, this Week

From Jude's Wall (Part 15)

Understanding the Factors that make Children Brilliant