Caught In The Cross Fire (A Story) - by MG

This is a Story by Musa Gift (MG). MG is a popular Guest Contributor on this blog.

The Story is in three parts, which have all been put together here as the complete story.

-----

PART 1

JANE BADMUS:
My phone beeps, as the 'new text message' icon comes up. It's 9.00 pm. Thank God it's Friday. The night promises to be cold, I am already dressed up for it anyway. I pick up my phone to read the text message. I wonder if it's my Mum, she promised to brief me on the outcome of the family meeting held in account of my upcoming introduction.
However, it's not my Mum, it's Matilda calling. I cursed under my breath. What does she want again? Hasn't she done enough damage? I asked no one in particular. "Oh God, get this girl off my back for good" I say silently as I tap the message icon to read it.

Matilda is Samuel's ex. Samuel is my fiancé. Matilda returned from the states months back and she has been trying, no, fighting tooth and nail to get Samuel back ever since. She had threatened me severally, tried blackmailing and all to no avail. I wonder what she was up to this time..
"He just left my place", it read. "We had a great time together, it's been a while a man made me feel this good. Heard your still a virgin, good for you. I put something in his right back pocket for you, it's red. Consider it my wedding gift, Happy Married Life.. Xoxoxo".

I didn't understand what the message I just read meant immediately. As I began to make sense of it, my doorbell rang. It's 9.10 pm. Only Samuel could visit me this late, as we stay in the same estate. He often drops in at odd hours like this, but he never sleeps over. I had met Samuel during my undergraduate days. I was twenty then, a 200 level Nursing student of the University of Port Harcourt. I had gone to my school Information Communication Technology Center (ICTC), to get some errors on my student profile page corrected to enable me pay me school fees. He was an IT consultant and just happened to be there to see his friend who worked there. He always says it was my dimples that attracted him to me that day. For me, it was his perfect white teeth that won me over, I have always had a soft spot for people with good dentition, don't blame me, we all have our soft spots now, don't we?
We got talking, exchanged numbers, I got my issue rectified and left, we became good friends from that day forward.
He was a devoted Christian who attended the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), and a God lover. He loved me too as it turned out, and I loved him too. He proposed five years later, to which I said "Yes"...

I got up from the couch, to open the door for Samuel. He averted my gaze when I opened the door. He only acted this way when he had done something wrong, or something he wasn't proud of.
"Hi love" he greeted as he walked past me and took his sit,
"Where are you coming from?" I asked
"emm, I went to see George", he lied. Matilda's message still ringing in my head (*he just left my place, *we had a good time, *I left a gift for you, it's red, *his right back pocket). Time to find out. He got up to get water from the fridge, now was my chance! I quickly slipped my hands into his right back pocket as he stood up, there was something in it, I withdrew my hand almost immediately.
"What are you looking..." he stopped when he saw what I now held in my hand. It was a Red lace G-string ladies panty.. He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.
"Well, say something" I said. I could feel the anger rising inside of me, my voice shaky, angry yet afraid. "Is this George's boxer, or your Sister's Panty?" I mocked. "Or you got it for me, oh let me see, you don't know how it got there, right?"
"Yes, I... I don't actually, but you wouldn't believe me if I said that, would you?". He sounded stupid. If only he could hear himself right now.

Tears began to flow down my eyes. The betrayal, the thought of it tore my heart in two.
"I knew where it came from" I told him. "You went to see Matilda, didn't you? And you slept with her. You lying, cheating two timing fraud, please deny it,?" In my heart, I prayed that he would deny it, that he would tell me he never went to see Matilda, that he actually got me the panty, that he came to give it to me, not that he would have ever done that, but I could at least believe that. Oh God, let this all be a dream.

"Jane, Baby, it's not what you think", he said as he drew closer to me, as if he thought that would make me believe him the more. Looking me in the eyes now, "Yes I went to see Matilda, I am sorry, I lied. But nothing happened, believe me, I only went there to........"
"Lies, all Lies" I screamed.
"Please Baby, hear me out, I am telling you, I only went there to..."
"Get out" I commanded in a tone that a general in the army would have used for his subordinates.
"Baby it hasn't gotten to this, it's me, your sunshine, your sugar bunny, please, hear me out". He was on his knees by now, but I didn't care, I had made a vow to myself as a little girl that I would rather remain single than marry a cheat. My Mum went through hell at the hands of the excuse of a man I call father, I wasn't willing to go through such at the hands of any Man.
"Get out". I pushed him towards the door, bolting it firmly behind him. "Oh, and here's your ring". I called out as I opened the door and threw the engagement ring he gave me on the previous year's Valentine's day, at him. When my door was shut once more, I collapsed on the floor, grateful it was there to catch me. The tiled floor felt colder tonight, and then the tears came rushing.
Our introduction was supposed to hold Next Week. As memories of my Mum and her ordeals ran through my mind, I knew I wasn't going to take Samuel back into my life, ever... It was over.

*****

Was Jane wrong to have thrown Samuel, her fiance out of her house without hearing him out?
Did Jane just overreact or did she do the right thing?

----------

PART 2

SAMUEL OKORO:
I could not explain what was happening, I never imagined my day ending like this. Was she really serious? She did sounded serious. Jane never joked about such things, and she did throw my engagement ring at me. She was filled with joy the day I proposed and gave her that ring, that she could throw it at me and push me out of her place, I was lost for words.

Less I forget, the Panty, how did that get in my pocket in the first place? This had Matilda written all over it. That daughter of Jezebel, scratch that, she would give Jezebel herself a run for her money any day any time. I may as well call her Jezebel. I regret ever knowing her now, to think I once loved her. The things we fall in love with sometimes, (sighs).

How could Jane even think I would cheat on her? I love her too much to do so. I knew going over to Matilda's place was a bad idea, I know it, damn, but I had to, at least I felt it was the right thing to do.
Matilda had been sending Jane inappropriate messages, threatening her and all. I needed to put a stop to it once and for all. Our introduction was in a week's time, I had to see her face to face and tell her to back off... My Mistake.
I had gone to Matilda's house that evening to tell her to back off my fiancée, I loved Jane, and that wasn't going to change. She had retained the apartment she stayed in from the time we dated before she travelled, so I still knew the address. I passed some of her neighbors on my way to her apartment. They were obviously new tenants, memories I had forgotten suddenly finding their way out from wherever memories are stored in the human mind. I was soon at her door, I knocked and after what seemed like forever she came to the door. She opened and immediately flung her arms around me in a chivalrous hug. Maybe, I should have just turned back and headed home at that point. Maybe, I should have just stood there and delivered my message and not go in when she motioned for me to come in after her. But I didn't, I went in..... Another Mistake.

As I stepped in and took my sit, I heard the sound of the door being locked with a key. She then walked towards me and I noticed what she was wearing for the first time, and I just knew this visit wasn't going to end well, at least for one of us. I never figured I would be the one. The top she was wearing stopped short of her stomach revealing her navel and stomach. The upper part was made of a net like 'see through material' and most of her breasts were on display. What was this girl up to, I had thought. I opened my mouth to say something but she spoke first.
"Samuel my love, you are welcome to my place. You have been avoiding me. Today, you visited. I am happy you finally came around. What can I offer you?" she asked.
I had a good mind to stand up and leave at this point, but I didn't, instead I replied:
"Water will be fine".
"Nonsense, this visit calls for a celebration, I will be right back", she said, as she headed inside to her room. I could tell she was swaying her behind with much effort for my benefit. She looked good, I must confess. It had been long I saw her. Jesus, what am I thinking? I cautioned myself. I had a fiancée, who love me, and I love her too. Maybe, I shouldn't have come here. Oh God, help me survive this one today, I promise to be wiser next time...

I took a look around the parlour, she has obviously done some redecorating. The furniture were looking new. The LG flat screen plasma TV on the wall was new. Her exquisite taste was easy to see from the bar and the assorted drinks on its shelves, the portraits hanging on the walls, a painting of Mona Lisa and several other paintings, with one of hers also among them, and then a family portrait hung in the middle. At least she still had a heart, or so I thought. The rug on the floor seemed imported, and......
She reemerged, interrupting my thoughts. She appears carrying a tray with cream cracker biscuits and an Eva wine she's already served. She is putting on a different top now. I can see she has no bra on, with a shorter skirt that could have passed for a pant in itself. What have I gotten myself into I asked myself? I immediately stood up to leave.
"what is the matter, you haven't even had anything" she queries.
"I... I... emm, I forgot to put off my TV at home" I blurt out without thinking (What did I just say? I am obviously not good at lying, of all the excuses I could come up with, way to go I mock myself).
"Emm, I meant to say, that... I received a call while you were away, it's an emergency. My mum just got admitted in the hospital, I need to rush over to see her...".
Little drops of sweat began to form on my forehead, I need to leave, and leave fast before I get into trouble, I can sense it.
She walks towards me, puts her hands around my neck, her perfume was intoxicating. She tried to plant a kiss on my lips, I quickly withdrew from her embrace. I loved Jane too much to betray her, besides this was against my belief and my Christan values.
"Stop this Matilda, it's over between us"
"Then what are you doing here?" she fires back while drawing close to me once more.
"I came to warn you, to beg you, to tell you to stay away from Jane, and I. We are getting married soon. Stay away from us. You were the one who left me, you told me you never loved me remember. You broke my heart in two when you ran off with that white man, please stay away from me and my wife to be. We cannot be together. Never! I cannot even sleep with you, I'm a Christian. Jane is not like you, she is a virgin, and we are keeping ourselves till our wedding night".
"hahaha, Jane the Virgin meets Samuel the Christian". Her mocking laughter rings through the house. It was getting late, I needed to leave. I walked towards the door and tried to open it only to find out it was locked.
Father please help me out, I won't come here again I tell God silently.
"The keys are with me, now come here and do as I say, or else you will regret ever knowing me, I will scream and shout rape, and you know what could happen. You either cooperate or I make sure your image before your church, your family and most especially your Fiancée suffers a blow you will never recover from..
I turned back, and faced her. She smiled.
I don't know what came over me, but I went on my knees, and started begging.
"Matilda please, for once, do the right thing. I love Jane, with all my life. The last thing I want to do is cheat on her, I am on my way to see her now even, leave us alone. Let us be, I have never treated you bad, for old times sake, do the right thing"

My speech seemed to have softened her heart, her shoulders slump in resignation and defeat, I should have known better.
"I will be back she says" as she heads back into the house, I wonder if I should run, she may come back with a knife or a gun. Then I remembered I had no where to run to. The only exit point is firmly shut. The biscuits, wine bottle and wine glass with the served wine in it laid there on the glass center table where she had dropped them. The wine could have been spiked for all I know. She returned with the key in her hand and she was now putting on a pyjamas. I sighed in relief, but she didn't see me do so. She had obviously hidden the key inside the house. Crazy lady. She opened the door for me and started sobbing. I stood there for some seconds before my gentleman nature got a hold of me. I hugged her, to stop her from crying. After some minutes, I pull away, stepped into the night, and headed straight for Jane's house. Thank God I didn't betray Jane. I love her now, more than ever. I got to her house only to have a lady's panty pulled out of my pocket. My engagement ring thrown at me, and my wedding called off as it were. It's a crazy world we live in.

The most painful part was that she refused to even hear me out. She wouldn't even listen to my side of the story. Wasn't she supposed to trust me more than every other person? Wasn't she supposed to be willing to hear me out no matter the allegation against me? Over five years of friendship.. Wow. I wanted to be angry, but I knew I couldn't afford to be. I was at fault as well, I lied when she asked me where I had been, but that was only because I did not want her to know I had gone to see Matilda. I didn't want her to be bothered anymore with anything related in any way to Matilda. I thought I had taken care of Matilda. If only I knew how wrong I was about that. I just wanted her to be happy, I wanted to make her happy. I regret lying now, and why did I even visit Matilda? Why did I get into her house? What was I thinking? Anyway, I was going to try again to apologize and convince Jane that nothing happened between I and Matilda. Tomorrow is another day. I would win Jane's love and trust back once more. It wouldn't be easy. I know Jane, she could be stubborn, but I wasn't going to give up easily.. My sleep that night was the worst I have had in years, I had nightmares all through..
It's a crazy world we live in after all..

*****

Did Samuel act wisely in how he handled his ex, Matilda?
Did he deserve the treatment he got from Jane or not?
What lessons are to be learned from Samuel's actions and inactions?
Couldn't Samuel have handled his ex differently and gotten a better Result?

----------

FINAL PART

JANE BADMUS:
That night that he left my place, or rather, that I kicked him out of my place, I cried most of the night. I just couldn't get off the feeling that my life will never remain the same after this. Oh my Samuel, this wasn't the first man I would lose to another lady. The man I was in a relationship with at the time I met Sam had recently cheated on me with my roommate then in school. I had forgotten my textbook that day and hurried back to the hostel. The door wasn't locked, so I rushed in only to find my roommate, Barbara and My man under the sheets. I passed out and woke up in a clinic. He never visited me. He sent me a text message on the day I was discharged that he no longer loved me and that it was best we go our separate ways. I wept sore, I moved out of the hostel immediately I returned. I've had trust issues ever since. That was a long time ago, but here I was again, heart broken and cheated on. Maybe I was wrong, maybe I should have not been so hard on him, and hear him out at least. He was my fiancé after all. Was I too hard on him? Anyway, my mind was made up.

The next day was a Saturday. Samuel's call woke me up at about 6 am. Why was he calling me I fumed. I ignored the call anyway. He wanted to apologize probably, but my Mum always would say, "never listen to them, you'll be a fool if you do, they are all cheats, all of them".

I was on the evening shift for the weekend at the hospital. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to work. I called my colleague Nurse, Bisi, to cover my weekend shift for me, I would cover hers next weekend. She agreed, what are friends for?... I stayed indoors all day, cried most of the day.

Samuel came around in the evening, he must have gone to the hospital to look for me first. I ignored the doorbell, and he left after almost an hour. Don't judge me, I do not want to see his cheating face. I may loose strength and forgive him, I don't want to, it was over and I didn't care.

*****

It's been nine months now, Samuel finally got the message I guess. He should have thought twice before sleeping with Matilda. He still calls but it's infrequent now. A friend told me that he even apologized on channel 94.1 Wazobia Fm. He must have thought that I would be listening, as that's my favorite radio station. His mum came to plead on his behalf. He sent his friends to plead. He even came to the hospital to beg twice. I had the security throw him out the second time. My Pastor asked me to forgive him. I did. Truth is, I no longer hold grudges against him, I just don't want him back. My mum is solidly behind me on this. A part of me still misses Samuel. I heard he resigned and moved to another part of the State. He started his own company, the last I heard. Our introduction never held, I spent the day I was supposed to get married at the cinema. I saw the Movie - Moana. I still believe God will send me a better man. I still pray. I fast every wednesday. My Christian life is improving.

I now have a new suitor. His name's Bernard. I haven't said yes yet. I guess a part of me still loves Samuel, I really wished it had worked out. Some things are not meant to be, don't you think?

SAMUEL OKORO:
I guess Jane never trusted me. I wondered if she will ever trust anybody. Maybe it was her cheating ex and her cheating dad. She had, had enough of heartbreaks. She's a victim too, just like me. We just got caught in the cross fires.
I wish she could have given me the chance to show her that not all men are cheats like her dad and her ex were.
I wish I never went to Matilda's place, I wish a lot of things these days. If only wishes were horses.

I still blame myself for everything that's happened. I should have avoided Matilda. I have learnt to deal with an ex from a personal experience, unfortunately it cost me the lady I loved. I spent the day we would have gotten married at the Cinema, watching Moana. I saw a lady that looked like Jane, but I don't bother to find out for sure. Jane didn't want me back. I've tried all I could, she wouldn't hear me out. She even had the hospital security throw me out one of the times I went to see her there. She did sent me a message, once, asking me to move on.

*****

It's been nine months now, I still haven't moved on fully, I still wished she had forgiven me even it meant me accepting that I slept with Matilda, even though I didn't. I would. I survived through the abandonment. It wasn't easy, going through her rejection. I suffered a nervous breakdown. I was hospitalized. I nearly went mad. I am over it now though. Sometimes, I would get angry with Jane. Maybe to her, I was just a chapter, but for me she was the whole book. She never heard my side of the story. Even if I did slept with Matilda, surely I deserved to be heard and forgiven, don't I? But most times, I just blame myself.
I wished the truth would come out anytime soon. The only Person alive who knew the truth had refused to speak up. I appealed to Matilda to tell Jane the truth, to save my marriage. I even offered her money. She cut the call on me the last time I called her. Last I heard of her, she was seriously sick and in the hospital. Gossip around was that she's HIV positive, karma right?

I still pray for her, I prayed that God will touch Matilda's heart, that she will repent and confess, and when that day comes, Jane will realize I was innocent. It may be too late by then anyway. I may be married. I'm already liking my new neighbor as it is, though it's still too early to conclude anything. She's quite an interesting person and... I'm beginning to bore you with unnecessary details right?

I resigned from the IT consulting Firm I worked at, I finally had enough funds to start up my own company. I also relocated from the estate. It reminded me too much of the good times I shared with Jane, things are moving up for me gradually. God is faithful.
Jane's actions had left me heartbroken. It feels like I got my heart ripped out, but I still loved her, and deep down in me, I still wanted her back. Do you think that will ever happen?

THE END

MARRYWELL

Comments

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

IPad, Android Phones Versus Bible

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

Comportment and Etiquette

Life Lessons from the Clock

Why Salt kills earthworms?

The Betrayal – A Short Story

Leadership and Politics Quotes, this Week

From Jude's Wall (Part 15)

Understanding the Factors that make Children Brilliant