The fears we do not face becomes our limits

If you allow fear, it will cripple you, immobilize you, destabilize you, ridicule you, reduce you, limit you and render you useless. That's the power of fear.

I attended a Youth night vigil a while back organized at a Zonal level. I pleaded with the Zonal Youth President to give me an opportunity to give a presentation and he obliged me. I picked a topic on communication with special focus on how to apologize. I personally don't like to do presentations with any materials or reminder aids, I just prepare, show up and present, I PERSONALLY believe that there's no need for one to step out before an audience with a pen and paper except you're gonna be giving a very lengthy talk or a very complex one and that presenting without any paper before you, gives your presentation a kind of professional touch.

So I did a quick perusal of the jottings I had done on the subject, and when it was time to present, I stepped up and started presenting. All was going well, till I had mentioned the first three tips, and as I tried to recall the fourth one, I got stuck, I couldn't remember what the fourth point I was to talk about was. I back tracked, the audience waiting for me, some praying for me to remember, others of course praying I don't so they can laugh at me later. After what seems like forever, they started clapping for me, obviously telling me "you tried, just round it up, we understand, it's okay, we love you".

What did I do? Did I give in? Beat a retreat? round up, apologize and go take my Sit? No way! Maybe some other day, but not today, I proceeded to get my note from my sit in the congregation, checked up the last point, came back up stage and finished my presentation.

I was called on phone some days later by someone who was present at the vigil. She wanted me to come give that same presentation and to be the master of ceremony (MC) at her mother's birthday. Did I learn from the past? Yes! Did I go back up with a paper this second time just in case I forgot? No! Rather than reduce my goal or lower my standard, I increased my effort...

Because -

If I give in to the fear of forgetting my points on stage, of making a mess of myself, I will never overcome the need of a piece of paper on stage with me. I will never improve my confidence in myself. If I decrease the goal or standards I have set for myself instead of increasing the effort, I will only have succeeded in failing myself. I still do my presentations and speeches without papers, I still run the risk of making a mess of myself anytime and every time I go before any audience to give a talk. I still get nervous, weak feet, get scared every time, but am I going to let that stop or limit Me? No! No! No!

Ama face my fears, till they fear Me!
Fear is not the enemy, your mindset is!
Someone once said, "Do what scares you till it doesn't". Comfort Zone kills. Comfort zone Stagnates.
The fears we don't face becomes our limits!

Face your fears today - fear of success, fear of failure, fear of criticism, fear of being mocked or hated.
You can't overcome it till you face it!
Don't let that fear stop you. Just do it!

By: Musa Gift (MG)

Comments

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

IPad, Android Phones Versus Bible

Life Lessons from the Clock

Comportment and Etiquette

You are Stronger than the Storms

Why Salt kills earthworms?

The Betrayal – A Short Story

We once heard that the Television was the devil's box

From Jude's Wall (Part 15)