Eggshells (Episode 6)

Stella was eating popcorn from a big bowl as she watched a comedy series on television. She laughed her heart out as she watched the programme. She glanced at the wall clock; it was 9:15 pm. Donald had not returned. She continued to eat the popcorn which she placed on her laps as she folded her legs on the sofa. After a while, she got tired of watching the programme and she took the remote control to change the channel. She scanned through her favourite channels but none of the programmes airing caught her fancy. She ended up switching off the television. She laid on the couch. She was feeling numb. A few months after their wedding, Donald had told her he wanted her to be a full-time housewife. Stella had protested against that. She wanted her time; her space, her freedom. She was still very young and agile. She agreed that Donald had more than enough to take care of their needs even when they began to have children without her having to work but she wasn't the dormant type. This was why she also protested when Donald suggested getting a housemaid. She wanted to be doing something at least. It took a while for her to adjust to the idea of becoming a full-time housewife because it was not what she had bargained for. Nonetheless, she became one and she was already in her third year of marriage. Donald had been a caring husband. He gave her a monthly allowance which was always more than enough and lasted till she received the next one. She had made quite some friends in their elite neighborhood. She had quit being friends with a few because Donald did not like their attitudes. According to him, they were 'rich, spoilt brats' who didn't value anything. Stella was however different. She was not a pompous lady neither was she arrogant. Hardly would anyone know she was from a rich home with her attitude. The relationship between she and her husband was however not perfect. Donald was a quite nonchalant husband. He hardly discussed with her. He went to work Mondays to Saturdays and returned late in the night. He barely spent enough time with his wife as she would love him to. The major thing was he also deprived her of sex. Donald was a mediocre when it came to the business of having sex. He hardly touched her and the few times he did, he did not last long in bed. Stella was a pretty and attractive woman, no doubt, but Donald had his own issues. Stella couldn't talk to anyone about it because no one would believe her. Sometimes, she wished she had accepted to employ a maid on whom she could vent her anger and frustration at times. Other times, she wanted to have a child desperately so as to take away the worry, loneliness, and depression which was gradually setting in at such an early age in her life and marriage. She was almost dozing when she felt a tap on her shoulders. She opened her eyes and saw Donald standing in front of her. She rose and sat upright. Donald sat beside her.
"How are you?", he asked.
She was surprised. He hadn't asked her that in ages.
"I'm fine", she replied.
She thought he would end there and go in. He did not.
"How did your day go?"
Again another surprise. She was even more surprised.
"My day wasn't bad. I've been home all day as you know and I've been waiting for you to return. You came late", she said and stared into his eyes. It was the first time in a long time she was looking into her husband's eyeballs directly and the first time he was sitting very close to her in a long while.
"I'm sorry I'm late. I was caught up in a terrible traffic on my way."
"That's okay. I understand we live in a traffic environment."
"Are you hungry? Should I make you something?"
She had to ask. He hardly ate after returning from work.
"No. I got something for the both of us on my way. Ofada rice, I know you love it."
Stella's face beamed.
"Ofada rice and stew! When last have I tasted that! Goodness!"
She got up and went to the dining table. Donald had already set the food. She sat and began to eat happily. Donald joined her at the table and they both ate together which was also a first in a long while.

***********

Jessica was having lunch with her friend, Daniella at the same restaurant where she and Stanley had lunch a few days back. Jessica was eating like she had little or no appetite. Daniella stared at her for a while before she spoke.
"What's bugging you? Is it the food?"
"No, it's not. It's something else."
"I thought as much because it's your favourite food. So is this about Stanley again?"
Jessica gave a surprised face.
"Don't give me that look. You and I know only Stanley can get you worried like this", Daniella continued.
Jessica sighed.
"Yes Dani, it's Stanley. He is getting married."
"But that's good news, right?"
"Well, yes and no."
"No because you're not the one he's getting married to? Don't kill yourself over that guy. He doesn't worth it."
"You keep saying that but I love him. I love him a lot", she said almost shedding tears.
" And what has loving him done for you? Has it paid your bills? No. Forget this guy. I agree you met him through me at my wedding, but I'm not in support of how he is treating you. You deserve more than that and you know it."
"I think you're right Dani. I have to forget about him and move on with my life. I have my daughter to look after."
"Good. I'm glad you know that. If it's about getting a man, I can connect you with a few of my husband's friends who are still single. I'm sure you won't regret it."
"Abeg! Mrs Connector! Don't connect me to anybody. The one you connected me to is still giving me a headache," Jessica teased and they both laughed.
After they were done with having lunch, Daniella went home and Jessica drove to her daughter's school to get her.

***************

Prisca and Ruth were waiting for Onyeka at the buttery in Prisca's hostel. Ruth had been calling Onyeka's number but she was not answering.
"Let's just get our own food. She'll join us later", Ruth said after dialling her number one more time.
"Let's just give her some more time. She might show up soon", Prisca said.
"Prisca, you're too kind. I'm sure if it was Onyeka in your place, she wouldn't say what you just said. She would totally forget your existence on earth."
"Common Ruth. Onyeka is not that mean."
"I know what I'm saying. I've taken my time to study her and..."
"Look, here she comes", said Prisca as Onyeka entered the buttery.
"Girls! Hope you didn't miss me much?", said Onyeka as she sat at their table.
"No, we didn't miss you at all. In fact, we wished you never came. Where were you that you couldn't answer my calls?", asked Ruth.
"Were you in the library?", asked Prisca.
" Library?! Me?! Onyeka Ikechukwu, the only daughter of Chief Dike Ikechukwu. I can't waste my time reading when I already know what I'll score."
Ruth laughed hysterically as Prisca and Onyeka looked at her in surprise.
"And what is funny?", Onyeka asked.
"You, Onyeka. You don't read?"
Ruth laughed harder.
"Are you running mad?", Onyeka asked.
" You will run mad. Abeg, make we chop and the bill is on you, chief's daughter - the one who doesn't read", Ruth said as she laughed again.
Onyeka hit her playfully before she took her bag, removed her purse and brought out some naira notes.

***********

Ada placed a call to her husband while she was sitting in the living room. Felix answered the call on the second attempt.
"Hi Baby", came his voice from the other end.
"Darling, how is work going?"
"Fine, as usual. How are you?"
"I'm fine too. I'm calling because of Prisca. She said she would like to see you. I think it's about what you promised to give her."
"Oh yes! I'm very sorry I almost forgot. We can go together this weekend to see her."
"Baby, I'm travelling this weekend to Agbor to see Uncle Sam, remember?
"Oh yes. I'm sorry I almost forgot that."
"You can go see her. When I return, we'll schedule another appointment in which we'll both go together. I'm sure she'll understand. Besides, she laid emphasis on seeing you personally."
"There is no problem then. I'll just go and see her", said Felix.
"Thank you Baby", Ada replied and ended the call.
She really cared about her sister; Prisca was her only living relative. Uncle Sam was Felix's father's brother who lived in the village. Ada was going to pay him a visit over the weekend. She wanted to settle his wife's medical bills and bring his daughter, Ufuoma along with her to Lagos. Uncle Sam had called Felix that his daughter just completed her secondary school education and that she wanted to come to Lagos for her tertiary schooling. Felix had obliged his uncle's request after consulting with his wife. Ada had no problem with the idea. She was happy to go and bring Ufuoma from the village and make her live with them as they sponsored her university education.

***************

Donald woke up very early and saw that his wife was not on the bed. He got up and went to look for her. He saw her in the kitchen beating some eggs. He walked up to her and smiled.
" Good morning. You're up so early", Stella said as she continued to beat the eggs.
"Yes. You're already making breakfast?"
Stella smiled.
"I wanted to surprise you. And why are you up so early? It's Sunday."
Donald moved to the refrigerator, opened it and took out a bottle of water. He opened the kitchen cupboard and brought out a glass cup. He spoke as he poured some water into the cup.
"I had no idea. I guess I will go back to sleep after eating now", he said as he drank the water.
Stella was already frying the eggs. She had added some sliced onions, tomatoes, and pepper. She turned the egg on the frying pan in an expert manner. Stella amazed Donald sometimes. She was raised and brought up in a home where she had a lot of maids at her beck and call yet she had learned how to cook so well on her own.
Stella smiled.
"Okay. I'll just bring you the food when I'm through. Will you be eating upstairs or at the dining?", she asked as she plugged the electric kettle to heat some water for tea.
"I'll just eat at the dining. I guess I've already ruined the breakfast-in-bed surprise."
"Kind of but it's alright", she said as she smiled a little.
"I'm not really comfortable with stressing you."
"And who says you are? Common, you're my husband."
Donald drank the last cup of water and moved closer to her. He kissed her forehead. Stella moaned a little. The little contact they had sent shivers down her spine. She didn't know if she missed him or she just missed being touched, felt, kissed, and made love to. She didn't also know if she loved Donald. Stella had never fallen in love; she only believed in marriage. She didn't believe that it was love that led to marriage. She believed that you just loved whom you married. Donald retreated and went into the living room to await the breakfast made by his wife. He thought about the discussion he had with his friend, Sean as he sat in the living room. Sean had told him his problem was curable and that the most likely cause of it was stress and anxiety. Sean had told him to relax a little and take some time off work to be with his wife. Donald knew he barely spent adequate time with his wife. It was always his work and him travelling to different places as a result of the nature of his job. He didn't know why he had not taken off enough time to be with Stella. He thought he had to work double hard in order to maintain the high standard of living Stella was already used to. This made him unavailable at the times she needed him. He would heed to Sean's advice and see how it worked. He was not in love with Stella either but he would try to make their marriage work. He also had to get Jane out of his mind completely. He was a married man.
*************
Jessica got up from the bed and went to her daughter's bedroom. Amanda was still fast asleep. Jessica smiled as she walked to her bed and laid beside her. She wrapped her arms around her and she could her daughter's soft breathing. It was a cold Sunday morning. There had been a heavy rainfall during the midnight. Jessica had entered her daughter's bedroom and closed the windows which were open. She had also brought out a thick blanket to cover her up. She knew Amanda was allergic to cold just like her father. The thought of Tunde changed her countenance. She did not like that he had been calling her severally and asking to meet with his daughter. She wondered which daughter he was referring to ; was it the one whom he turned his back on or the one his wife who could not conceive had bore him. She was furious at his audacity of challenging her and threatening to take her to court for the custody of the same child he had abandoned. She also thought that Tunde probably remembered Amanda now because the woman he married could not conceive a child. That was none of her business but she would do all she could to ensure that Tunde did not get any rights over their daughter.


To Be Continued...

Comments

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

Why Salt kills earthworms?

Grace and Favour are not a license for laziness and mediocrity

Let's talk about Bimpe Bamgbose-Martins

We once heard that the Television was the devil's box

You do not need to invite the Holy Spirit

The Love and Positivity Initiative – LPI

Success Story: How I went from a CGPA of 2.29 to 4.00 within a Semester

The Weekly WhatsApp Status-Quotes Challenge – The LPI