Eggshells (Episode 5)

Felix and Tonia entered in together. They met Ada setting the table for dinner. She looked at him scornfully and went into the kitchen to get other items. Meanwhile, Felix offered Tonia a seat. Ada returned with two glass cups in her hands. She placed them on the table and was about dishing the food when Felix spoke.
"Can't you see we have a guest?"
She looked at him and dropped the plate in her hand on the table.
"Point of correction, your guest and not mine. I don't know her", she said and hissed.
Felix shook his head.
"And you don't bother to know her? She would like to see you."
"For what? Is she not your mistress? You've finally brought her. You have no shame."
Felix was confused and upset. He wanted to speak but he was stopped by Tonia who rose up.
"It's okay Felix." She turned to Ada.
"Hello dear. I believe you don't know me and that's why you're reacting this way. My name is Mrs Tonia Ephraim, wife of Israel Ephraim who is the CEO of Zmobile."
Ada appeared shocked. She had no idea all this while.
"You mean you are my husband's boss?"
"Indirectly yes. I'm the wife of your husband's boss. I'm sorry I caused this confusion between you and your husband. My husband's fiftieth birthday is around the corner and Felix here was just helping me plan a surprise birthday party for him. I was the one who asked him to keep it a secret between the both of us. It is meant to be a surprise after all."
Ada was still shocked. The look on her face gradually changed from that of surprise to that of embarrassment.
She looked like she was speechless.
Tonia continued. "It's okay to have reacted that way. It shows you love your husband a lot and you don't want to lose him. But I will never come between you and your husband and that's for sure".
Ada found her voice at last and spoke.
"I'm very sorry Madam. I didn't know and he didn't tell me anything. If I knew, I would never have spoken like that. Please forgive me Ma."
Tonia smiled and moved closer to her.
"It's okay. I'm glad I met you. I would like to be your friend if you don't mind."
Ada was about to shed a tear.
"Of course I don't mind Ma", she said and they hugged each other.
Felix smiled from where he stood.
"And you can call me Tonia okay?", she said after letting go of the embrace.
Ada wiped her tear and spoke.
"I just prepared dinner. Would you like to join us?"
"Of course I would love to. But I have a husband to attend to too."
They all laughed.
Tonia continued. "We'll plan something lovely for the four of us later and this time, I'm contacting Ada for it."
They all laughed again and Tonia politely took her leave.

They both ate their food in silence. Either of them did not know how to start the conversation between them. Ada was feeling shy and embarrassed after her outburst so she was quiet. Felix, on the other hand, felt it was her duty to apologise. After he finished his meal, he went in to the bedroom without saying a word still. Ada felt bad. She caused it all. She should have trusted him. She got up and cleared the table. After she was done with washing the plates in the kitchen, she went into the bedroom. She entered and saw Felix on the bed reading a book. She thought he must have been waiting for her. Usually, he would have slept by then. She walked to the bed and sat beside him.
"I'm sorry Baby. I should have trusted you but I didn't and it's all my fault", she said.
Felix looked at her and placed the book down.
He sighed. "I'm glad you know you were wrong. I'm sorry too. I should have told you everything that was going on."
He continued. "I love you Ada. You are the best thing that has happened to me in my life. I lost my dad many years ago and I was singlehandedly raised by my mum. My mum taught me never to trust any other woman apart from her. But I trust you Ada. I trust you with my life. I only wish you could trust me the same way I trust you."
"I trust you Felix. I know what I did was wrong. I shouldn't have doubted you but please forgive me. It won't happen again, I promise."
"It's alright. I forgive you. You know, I have missed you."
"Really? Well I missed you more", she said and smiled.
Felix kissed her slowly and it grew into a very passionate one. He slowly loosened her clothes as he kissed her. She also undid his buttons and removed his shirt and trousers. They both kissed and covered themselves with the blanket as Felix slowly made love to his wife.

**************

Stanley and Franca were both having dinner together at a cool restaurant. Stanley had called Franca after his meeting with Jessica to arrange the date. He kept on staring at her at intervals during their meal. She wore a pink shirt and black trousers and had her glasses on. She hardly looked up from her plate as she ate but each time she did, her gaze met with Stanley's and he would smile.
"You keep staring at me Stan. Hope all is well?"
"Yes. All is well dear. I can't help but appreciate your beauty."
"When will you stop flattering me?", she asked.
He chuckled.
"I wish it's mere flattery but it's the truth. You are beautiful."
Stanley knew Franca was just on the average in terms of beauty. She had great curves but her face wasn't as exceptional as Jessica's. If Franca and Jessica were both commercial models, Jessica would surely be more accomplished than her because she had the outstanding face which most marketers would prefer. But he wasn't bothered about that. She was a woman he had fallen in love with by accident. It wasn't his job to pinpoint her flaws but to appreciate her inner beauty. He concluded what must have really gotten him about her was her intelligence. Stanley was a sucker for brilliant women.
"I would like to stare into those gorgeous eyes of yours everyday and tell you how much of a goddess you are", he continued.
Franca laughed.
That was the first time he had seen her laugh so heartily; the first time he had succeeded in making her laugh.
"Me? A goddess?", she asked still laughing.
" You don't believe me?"
"Not that. You just joke way too much Stan."
"Apologies. I'll joke less and be more serious. But I hope you were not thinking that was a joke because I was serious about that."
"Allow me worship you everyday of my life, my goddess", he continued.
Franca stared at him for minutes.
He wondered what she was thinking about. Then she spoke.
"What exactly do you want from me?"
Stanley also kept quiet. He looked more serious.
"I want you to marry me."
He wasn't sure if he had said it right or not. He wasn't also sure if she would slap him or outrightly walk out on him and he would never hear from her again. He just knew he said what was on his mind.
Her response surprised him.
"Is that all?", she asked.
"Is that too much to give to me?"
"No, it isn't. I just wanted to be sure you meant what you said."
She sighed and continued.
"Stan, I will marry you."
Stanley was stunned. She agreed! But why did she agree just like that? He doubted he was that handsome or that rich for her to have succumbed easily. He was happy she did but he was surprised she didn't even ask for time, at the very least, to think about it. This woman was weird and Stanley liked and was everything weirdness himself.

Jessica laid on her bed and thought about Stanley. He was gone. By gone, she meant that she had lost any tiny chance she hoped she had of being with him. He had found himself a woman he loved and wanted to get married to. She cried silently. How could she have been so silly? He was never going to propose to her anyway. There had been no point of her walking on eggshells around him all along in order to get him to notice her. Yes, he noticed her but he didn't love her and she knew it. She knew it! She loved a man who didn't have any romantic feeling for her. And the worst part was she was his best friend. It all seemed complicated to her. She was about getting up to go to the bathroom when her phone rang. It was Stanley. What did he want to tell her this time?, she thought.
She answered the call.
"Jessie, I have good news."
"Okay, what is it about?"
She sat on the bed and listened.
"Franca has agreed to marry me. She has accepted to be my wife."
Jessica was silent.
"Hello? Jessie, are you there?"
Silence.
"Hello? Hello! Hello?"
She didn't say a word.
"I think there is a break in transmission. Talk to you later", he said and ended the call.
Jessica was still silent as she placed the phone by her side.
It was all happening too fast for her to understand. If there was anything she wanted to get a distance from now, it was Stanley. He was going to be a married man now and it wasn't healthy to still remain close to him.

**************

Prisca laid on the bed in her room and punched the keys on her phone. She was sending a text message to her sister to express her gratitude for the money which was sent to her account. After the message was sent successfully, she put her phone down and closed her eyes. She didn't sleep but thought about the discussion she had with her friends earlier.
Onyeka had told her to get a boyfriend. According to her, Prisca needed a man in her life to take care of her. A man who would be responsible for her upkeep while in school till she graduated. Onyeka didn't necessarily mean a student like them. She meant an older man; possibly a married man.
Prisca had told her emphatically that she would do no such thing. She also added that doing that was tantamount to her prostituting herself and she wasn't going to do that. Besides, she was happy and contented with what her sister gave her occasionally. Onyeka had laughed at her and told her to wake up to reality as she was talking like a child. She had told her that the time would come when her sister would get tired of giving her 'leftovers' and that she hoped Prisca would not come running to her then. Ruth was not in support of Onyeka however. Ruth felt that Prisca was lucky to have a kind and caring sister like Ada. Prisca wondered if Onyeka was right. Did she need a man? Did she need to sell herself to survive despite having a sister who would do anything for her?

***************

Donald and his friend, Sean were playing golf. Donald had lost severally. That was his thirteenth attempt. Sean noticed his friend's lukewarm behaviour and stopped. He was walking towards him when Donald spoke.
"This game is still on till I beat you."
His friend smiled and stood in front of him.
"You don't look happy man. And I know it's not about the game."
Donald didn't answer him and quietly walked to the park. He looked sad. He was about opening the door of his car when Sean walked up to him and tapped him at the back.
"This is not you Donald. What's the matter?"
Donald turned and looked at him.
"There is a problem. I have a problem."
Sean and Donald had been friends since childhood. The both of them went to the UK around the same time. Sean had studied Medicine while Donald studied Engineering. Sean returned to Nigeria two years after Donald did. He gradually became one of the most sought after medical doctors in the state. Donald and Sean were more like brothers than friends.
"I knew it. Your countenance expressed it all. Can we go to my office to discuss about it?"
"It is confidential and it is urgent. Can I count on you?"
"Definitely bro."
Sean went to his car, opened it and got in. Donald entered his car too. The both of them drove away from the park as they both headed to Sean's place of work to discuss.

They entered the hospital together. Sean was immediately recognized by the patients who sat at the reception. A few nurses followed him into his office. Donald sat at the reception. Sean entered his office and the nurses informed him he had some patients who requested to see only him. Sean was impatient; his friend needed him. He attended to the patients who had been waiting before he got in and told the nurses to tell any other patient who came in after that he was unavailable.
Donald finally had the opportunity to see his friend. He spoke out and expressed his feelings and how Stella always nagged and disturbed him about sex. He also told him what he had noticed about himself.
"I think I'm impotent, Sean."
Sean shook his head. He was feeling sad to see his friend in that condition.

To Be Continued...

Comments

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

Let's talk about Bimpe Bamgbose-Martins

Why Salt kills earthworms?

Grace and Favour are not a license for laziness and mediocrity

You do not need to invite the Holy Spirit

The Love and Positivity Initiative – LPI

The Weekly WhatsApp Status-Quotes Challenge – The LPI

I am a seed. I cannot be buried. I can only be planted!

Success Story: How I went from a CGPA of 2.29 to 4.00 within a Semester