Eggshells (Episode 3)

The movie turned out to be a comedy. Stanley rarely liked comedies. He was more into thrillers, action, and sci-fi. He had to fake his laughter at every interval. He did this in order not to look odd among the audience who were obviously cracked up by what Stanley felt was "mediocre and silly". When nobody was looking, he made sure his gaze was on his beautiful date, Franca.
Franca, he thought. The truth was that he didn't expect her to agree to the movie date. A part of him was expecting her to decline his offer. This was why he was surprised when she had politely called him back before he left her office. She had smiled and told him she would go with him. Stanley wasted no time in asking for her number. There he was with her in a cold theatre hall sipping on some soda and munching some popcorn while holding her hands subtly. If he ever got to marry this woman, he would always recount the story of how they began as something that happened so fast. He shuddered. He had barely met her and he was already thinking of marriage. He had known Jessica for a longer time, yet the thought of marriage never crossed his mind. What was happening to him? Was he going crazy? The Stanley he was becoming was not the Stanley he used to know. He excused himself to go to the Gents.
While he was waiting for the person who was in to be done, he placed a call to Jessica.
"How is the most beautiful mother in the world doing?"
"Stanley! I've been worried. What happened?"
"Calm down woman. I'm fine".
" That's good to know. Were you able to sort it out?"
"Yes and I won a lottery!"
"A lottery? How on earth did that happen?"
"I'll tell you more when we see. I'm at the movies. Bye. See you soon."
He ended the call. The door which was closed when he got in had been opened. He looked back and saw a man and a woman adjusting their clothes. The man's zipper was open and the lady was struggling to quickly wear her thong. Stanley smiled. He knew what they had been doing. He shook his head and went in to relieve himself.
By the time he returned, the movie was over. He saw people leaving the theatre hall in twos and threes. He went in to look for Franca. He met her walking down the aisle to the exit door. She looked like she was upset. He reached to her and held her hand.
"My dear, I'm sorry. I was delayed".
"It's okay. I understand. I only wished you were there to watch the ending."
"I'll download it on my laptop okay. I promise".
He knew he lied. He was not going to download that "horrible thing". However, he wasn't going to tell Franca that. She may probably not want to see him again. He wondered if she actually did like the movie herself or she was just showing loyalty to her company. He didn't ask her though.
"That's alright. Can we go now?"
"No erm I meant yes but not really. Can we go have dinner somewhere nice around here before I let you go?"
There was a brief silence. For a second, he thought she was proving hard to get. Then, he thought why would she come this far with him only to reject having dinner.
"Okay. No problem".
"Thank you".
Jessica had a hard time falling asleep. The conversation she had with her friend kept replaying in her head. Then, there was Stanley's call too. Daniella had told her to forget about Stanley and move on. According to her, she was beautiful, smart, and intelligent. Any man in his right thinking senses would waste no time in courting her. Daniella also told her that it could be that Stanley wasn't even meant for her. If he really was, then enough time had passed for him to realize that and do the needful. She also said that Jessica deserved better than a man who was not sure of his feelings like he was some teenager. Jessica had replied that Stanley was a good man and even though she tried, she couldn't get over him that easily. She meant what she had said. She was in love with a man who would probably never develop feelings for her aside from a platonic one. She knew she was trying to fit in a round peg in a square hole. She knew she and her daughter deserved better but there was some little hope she had in her heart that Stanley would realize the fact that the woman of his life had been her all along.
Amanda quietly opened the door.
"I can't sleep alone mummy. Can I sleep here tonight?"
"Sure you can Sweety. Come".
Her daughter walked to the bed and laid beside her. They both cuddled each other. Jessica thought about what Stanley had told her on the phone. What lottery was he talking about? Only time would tell.
*******
Felix got out of the bathroom with water dripping from his body and a towel tied around his waist.
He had a smaller towel in his hand with which he used to wipe his body. Ada entered the bedroom and saw him applying some aftershave.
"Breakfast is ready. So you will come and eat now?"
He stopped and looked at her.
"As you can see, I'm still busy. Besides, I won't be having breakfast this morning. As it is, I'm running late."
"Running late? And you're busy dressing yourself up as if you're going for a modelling audition!"
"So I cannot look good because I'm going to the office? How does that even sound to you?"
"Felix, why don't you just confess what you're hiding to me."
He looked confused.
"Hiding? What are you talking about?"
"You know what I'm talking about. Don't pretend like you don't. Felix, I am your wife and you're beginning to confuse me".
"Well, you're beginning to confuse me too".
"You will have that breakfast whether you like it or not. I cannot labour in vain."
He chuckled as he put on his shirt.
"I didn't ask you to prepare breakfast. You chose to make it yourself so don't force me to eat what I didn't ask you to prepare."
Ada shook her head. Did Felix just say that to her? What was happening to her marriage?
"But how could you even talk like that. That's very painful coming from you."
She was almost in tears.
"I will see you when I get back", he said and walked out of the bedroom.
Ada burst into tears.
It was 07:45 am in Faith Hostel. The voices of her friends woke Prisca up from her sleep.
" Hurry up Prisca!"
"Prisca, hurry or we'll be late!"
Prisca opened the door and saw her friends Ruth and Onyeka waiting outside her room. They were dressed up for the class. She, however, was still in her pyjamas.
"Seriously? You mean you're just waking up?", Onyeka screamed.
Ruth widened her eyes.
"What's the meaning of this Prisca? Do you realize we're running late for Dr Olufemi's class?"
"You girls can go. I won't be coming to class today."
Onyeka hissed and was walking away when Ruth called her back.
"Onyeka, wait for me please."
She turned to Prisca.
"But why are you not coming? Is there any problem?"
"Not really. I haven't bought the textbook yet. And you know how he disgraced me the last time in class. That's why I'm not coming today."
"Oh sorry! But why haven't you called your sister to send you money since?"
"I'll call her today. I was even thinking of going home. But, I'll call her today."
"Okay dear. See you later. Let me quickly hurry. Onyeka is already staring at me like a witch."
"I heard that!", said Onyeka from where she stood.
Ruth looked at her. "And so?"
She turned to Prisca.
"See you later love."
"Okay, don't forget to bring your note later."
"I won't", said Ruth while she hurried down the stairs.
Onyeka was already far ahead of her.
Prisca shook her head while she smiled a little. She entered her room and laid on her bed. She thought about her friends for a while. She had met Ruth on the day she went for her registration as a Freshman in the university. Ruth had lost one of her passport photographs and Prisca had found it on the floor beside her. She had searched for the owner until she saw Ruth searching frantically after she had been sent off the queue because of her incomplete passport photographs. Prisca gently walked up to Ruth and gave her the passport photograph after which she explained to her how she had found it. Ruth had thanked Prisca and they both went back to join the queue. They began to chat about different things. They talked and laughed like they had known each other for a long time. While they discussed, Onyeka walked in and met the long queue. She was very late. She walked up to the middle of the queue which was the very point where Ruth and Prisca were standing. Ruth had looked at her and back at Prisca for confirmation. When Prisca nodded, Ruth allowed her into their middle with Prisca at the back and Ruth at the front. Onyeka had been more than grateful. She kept on thanking them. After the three of them were through that day, they gave one another their mobile numbers. They also promised to keep in touch with one another. They eventually became inseparable friends. There was a day though that Prisca and Onyeka had a disagreement. This disagreement led to the both of them not talking to each other for days. They both kept malice for more than two weeks until Ruth intervened and reconciled the both of them. Prisca got up and took her phone. She dialled her sister's number.
Ada who had been crying quickly wiped her tears when her phone rang. She thought it was Felix calling  to apologise for his behaviour earlier. It wasn't him. It was her sister, Prisca. She pressed the receive button.
"Hello dear! How is school?", she asked changing the tone of her voice.
"School is fine. How are you and Bro Felix?"
"Felix is fine. He has gone to work. I'm fine too. I was thinking of visiting you but I wanted Felix to come with me. He said he bought some stuffs for you."
Prisca's eyes brightened as she smiled widely.
"Oh really? I can't wait to see them."
"I know."
"Sis, are you okay? Is everything alright?"
Ada was surprised. How did Prisca notice?
"Of course I'm okay. There is nothing wrong with me. I'm absolutely fine."
"Okay. I don't have any money with me for textbooks. Could you kindly send some money to my account?"
"Okay dear. I'll do that immediately. What about your feeding allowance?"
"I still have some foodstuffs left. But I'm running out of beverages."
"Okay. I'll send you money for that too. When I go shopping this weekend, I'll get some clothes for you too."
"Thank you so much sis."
"You're welcome dear. Be good."
"Yes, I will. My regards to Bro Felix."
"Okay. Take care".
Prisca ended the call. She stood up and carried her bucket to go fetch water outside at the tap.
Ada transferred #50,000 from her account to her sister's account. She wasn't going to ask Felix to do it. She was still furious with him. After she received the message on her phone that her account had been debited of the amount, she went to the dining table to have breakfast. She thought about Felix. She must  find out who this Tonia was and she had to be fast about it.
To be continued...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Business and Finance Quotes, this Week

Nothing Good Comes Easy (Dr. Nosa's Success Story)

Why Salt kills earthworms?

Treat Him like a King

Let's talk about Bimpe Bamgbose-Martins

IPad, Android Phones Versus Bible

The Betrayal – A Short Story

Relating God's Goodness

Your Village People that won't allow You to Succeed

You do not need to invite the Holy Spirit